Friday 12 October 2007

"Are you having a party?"

These are the words spoken to me every time I'm standing in line to pay for groceries for stake activities. Usually I just laugh and say, "Something like that," and leave it at that. Tonight though, it was a different story as a young man asked me, "Are you having a party?" I turned it into a missionary opportunity. This time, after I answered, "No, I just really like pie and apple juice," I expanded and explained it was for a church function. He proceeded to ask me what church I went to, where it was located, and if there was a website. He even knew our church had elders.

I said he was welcome to come to the activity tomorrow (Pioneer Day and Chili Potluck Dinner) and gave him rough directions on where the church building was located. We introduced ourselves to each other, then he paid his groceries then left.

As the cashier was scanning my *14 pies, 24 bottles of apples juice, half a dozen cans of whip cream, and my hundreds of paper plates and bowls, I started regretting not giving him the exact address of the building. As I was leaving the store, I noticed he was still at the doors, bundling up for the frigid air waiting outside.

I asked him if he was really interested in coming tomorrow and if he was, I could write down the exact address of the church. He was, so I gave him all the information I could think of - name of the church, the address, the time of the activity, and even the time church started on Sunday. He even asked me to write down the website so he could read up on it.

Who knows if he's really going to show up or not. We'll have to wait and see. But even if he doesn't, I did my part. It was a really nice experience to share with the family when I returned home. Now I just hope that it will be cold enough tonight because I left the food in the truck. I'm pretty sure it'll be OK. It's pretty frigid out there.

*Actually there's more food. I hit Costco earlier where I bought 6 more huge pies amongst other goodies.

3 comments:

Ryan and Katie said...

so what happened??? did he show?!

Jessica said...

No he didn't. But at least I gave him the website so if he's serious about learning more, he can start there.

Eric Jakob said...

Good work Jess. Flirt to convert! J/k.

Its funny though, everytime I buy a crapload of food like that for an activity nobody asks if I'm having a party!