Friday 30 January 2009

The Food Experience

I've come to realize lately how I love to go out to eat. I don't get to do it often but when I do, I want to go to a really good restaurant. Not only does the food have to be good but the atmosphere as well. Because of Sheldon's gluten-free dietary needs, we usually go out for sushi. Now that I work downtown, my eyes have been opened to the plethora of restaurants that are just in the ByWard Market alone. What a shame it would be if I never get to eat at them!

A friend I carpool with told me about the Taste of Winterlude event in February where you can "enjoy exclusive prix-fixe menus, fine dining experiences...culinary delights at some of our best local restaurants." This has me excited as it will give me a chance to eat at some of the pricier restaurants that I normally avoid because of the price.

As we're planning for Angelina's last birthday with us before she moves to B.C., we asked her what she had in mind. She said she didn't care as long as it was with her best friends and good food had to be a part of it.

The same group will be going on a Montreal temple trip this weekend (as our first and our last for a long time) before Jen has baby #3 and Angelina moves. Jen requested that we go somewhere good to eat after. A friend at work told me that Montreal is having restaurant week as well. Once again, good food has to be a part of our festivities.

Then Sheldon asked me to pick out the restaurant I wanted to go to for Valentine's Day.

This has got me researching restaurants a lot and I've come up with a list of places I'd like to try or just go to again to try some different menu items. I've compiled a special list and put it in the right column of this blog.

One restaurant in particular has really grabbed my attention; Atelier. It sounds like they mix art, science, and food together which creates a really unique experience. They serve a 12-course tasting meal that includes items such as caviar creamsicle, nitro noodle soup, liquid centres, and yellow snow (not sure what that one's about but I'm intrigued). Take a look at some of the pictures I borrowed from their website. It's so artistic! For more pictures, check out their gallery.





Hopefully the list will provide my husband and friends some new ideas of where we can go the next time we have something special to celebrate. Perhaps I'll even create a Favourite Restaurants list. Until then...happy eating.

1 comment:

Ryan and Katie said...

the only problem with fancy restaurants is you pay a lot for a little and I always leave still hungry!