Monday 15 September 2008

A do-run-run-run, a do-run-run

I hit another milestone!! I decided to run home from work. I mapped the route and it would be a 15km run, the furthest I've run yet. Here's the best part...I ran it in 1 hour 39 min. 32 sec. To put that in perspective, I ran 14 km in 1 hour 44 min. last month but keep in mind, it was stinky hot when I ran the 14km so that slowed me down a lot. But still, I am so surprised because there are a couple of hills on my 15km route so I expected to run it in 1 hour 50 min. I even told myself to take my time and so what if I take 2 hours.

To put it in another perspective, I usually run 10km in about 1 hour 8 min. to 1 hour 10 min. I usually run 5km in 33 min. so technically my 15 km run should have taken over 1 hour 41 min. at least. But to come in under 1 hour 40 min....wow is all I can say!

I used two energy gels for the first time throughout my run. I think that definitely helped me out because my running was still very strong and steady during the final 5km. I think I had enough energy to tack on the remaining 6km to make it a half marathon distance. That really boosts my confidence.

In the running world, I'm considered a slow runner but for me, this is a huge accomplishment. I had a lot of people pass me while I was running along the canal but I tried not to let that bother me. I kept telling myself that I'm just a beginner runner and I've only been running for 8 months. Plus I kept checking to see if I was tired or not and I still feeling great so that helped motivate me to keep going. I think I even tackled the last hill at a good pace. I'm so happy. I'm on top of the world right now!

No comments: