Tuesday 24 July 2007

No Sno in July

Once again it is time for the annual Stake Family Picnic at Britannia Park. This year I was excited because I rented a sno-cone machine for the event. However, I realized quickly that there is no where to plug a sno-cone machine in when you're in the middle of a beach/park. So I started hunting for people who had a generator that I could borrow. You would think that after the ice storm 8 years ago that this would be easy. After asking numerous people, I finally came across somebody who had a small portable one that I could use. However because it was a smaller generator we were worried that it wouldn't have enough juice to power a sno-cone machine. I had to call the party store today to find out how much power this machine sucks. The man at the store promptly told me that I could not plug the sno-cone machine into a generator because it needs a constant supply of power. Not knowing anything about generators, I assume now that the power from generators is not constant. I don't know why, but OK. So I asked if I could cancel the rental and get my deposit back. He said that it was a non-refundable deposit! My heart sank. That's about a $70 deposit! Luckily he was in a good mood and said that he would refund the money back to my credit card. Whew! That was a close call.

Then later, I had to go to a client's office for a meeting. I was not prepared to go anywhere because I initially thought this meeting was going to be a conference call. I wasn't dressed to meet with a client either (I was wearing jeans, a black t-shirt, and flip flops). I found out they wanted me on-site 30 min. before the meeting was to begin. Luckily, I drove to work today because I was going to pick up the generator (that I no longer needed) after work. So even though I didn't need to pick up the generator anymore, I still had a vehicle to get to the client's office. But then I found out that they wanted someone from the creative studio to come too. So I scrambled to find someone that works on this account and we ran out of the office to try and make it in time for the meeting.

We got to the office but as I was turning into the visitor parking lot, I realized I had no cash on me to pay to get into the lot! Neither did the designer that was with me. Luckily the parking attendant was in a generous mood as well and let me park there for free. I went to the bank machine in the building with the intent to pay the $3 when leaving the lot. However the attendant was gone and people were free to come and go as they pleased. I guess I'll have to catch him the next time I'm there.

So even though there is no sno in July, there are plenty of generous and charitable people out there.

2 comments:

D said...

That's sad about the Sno Cone machine. It's a shame when your good ideas are thwarted by stupid things like plugs and generators.

jenjakob said...

I don't know what the deal is about generators. The power isn't constant? If it has fuel to run, I would assume it is constant but then, I didn't study electrical engineering in university.