Thursday 8 February 2007

How soon is too soon?

How soon is too soon to quit physiotherapy? At what stage of your rehabilitation can you say, "I don't really have to go to physio anymore. I can do the exercises at home."?

The reason for my question is because I've been going to physio for about 3 months now. Except for the odd achiness I feel when I play really hard, or when I go down the stairs a certain way, my ankle feels fine. I've been playing volleyball and as long as I wear my brace, it feels fine. The puffiness is almost all gone - there's just a very small area that is still a little bit puffy - and I realize the ultrasound and the microcurrents help with that. But will it go away on its own if it's just a little bit?

I'm going twice a week but I feel like I can decrease to once a week, perhaps even just weaning myself altogether within the next month. Is this a good idea?

I suppose I could ask my physiotherapist, but don't they want patients to come often so they will be paid more? Won't they always say it takes a long time to heal and you should keep coming, even if it's only once a month because they don't want to lose you as a patient? How soon is too soon to quit physio?

No comments: