Wednesday 28 February 2007

The Sound of Music

Last night, Barb and I went to see Josh Groban in concert. It is always a treat to listen to a talented singer live. I could hear him sing all night. He had the same violinist as last year's concert and she is amazing. The cellist was good too...almost inspired me to learn. When the concert began, Josh sang his newest single "You Are Loved (Don't Give Up)" and the lady sitting beside me (not Barb...the other side) started to sing along. Now if this was a different performer, let's say Madonna for example, where the dancing and extra stuff was a part of the show I would say "Go ahead. Sing along." Heck, I would probably start singing along. But when it's a performer like Josh Groban, I'm there to listen to his beautiful voice, not the lady beside me. Geez, if I wanted to listen to her, I'd invite her out to a night of karaoke. I was really getting annoyed. I was praying that she doesn't know the words to every song. Luckily, she didn't...until the very last song. The encore was "You Raise Me Up". There she was again, belting it out like no tomorrow. Oh well.

There were some funny moments throughout the night. It was his birthday so somebody gave him a lifesize cutout of Homer Simpson in his underwear wearing a Happy Birthday banner like a beauty pageant sash. He even surprised everyone and appeared singing within the audience just one section away from us! Very cool!! The best part that really got the audience going though was appearing for his encore with a Sens jersey on. He knows how to please his audience.

We saw a lot of people we know at the concert too. Some we actually bumped into; the others we just saw from a distance. I looked around at the overall demographic of the audience. The women's ages spanned a huge range; think grandma's to grandaughters. Then there were the men. I pity the men because they were most likely dragged there by their wives/girlfriends. You see, I'm a good wife. I didn't drag my husband along. Forget it. I'm not paying $100 so he can sit there and be bored all night. I may not be as nurturing as others are when somebody is sick, but I know when to save a buck or a hundred.

1 comment:

KabalRPG said...

Yes, thank you, thank you! I can also think of a lot of better ways to spend 100 bucks. Like sushi! Mmmmm sushi......