Sunday 13 April 2008

The best friends a girl could ask for

(the title includes my husband because he's my very best friend)

Yesterday was my official 30th birthday party. I think it may have begun as a surprise birthday party but I ended up finding out because a person-who-will-remain-nameless in her exhausted stupor accidentally spilled the beans.

Regardless, Sheldon, Angelina, Jennifer and Nina did a great job preparing for it. From inviting people, to cleaning Nina's house, making sushi from scratch (that was the guys' job), and to preparing a slide show of my life, I thank you all for loving me enough to go to such great lengths to give me the best birthday party ever. We ate sushi galore and laughed all night.

Nina may have scared off Jon's new girlfriend within the first few moments they met though when she turns to her and says in the Nina-on-meds way "You're a really nice person." And for some reason, I'm still smiling from Eric's casual reply to Angelina when she was frustrated with hunters when we were talking about one story of a hunter who kills lions for sport "You go ahead and talk to him about that." You had to be there. Or when Barb tried sushi that had fish in it AND an actual piece of tuna sashimi for the first time! Oh I got pictures of that, my friends. But best of all (and I'm going to crack up every time when I see the picture) is when Sheldon was lying down on the floor and Paul sitting nearby lifts up his shirt and actually blows on his tummy! It happened so fast that I wasn't sure what the picture I took would look like, but it turned out good. The picture could leave a lot to the imagination too. I'll be nice for now and not post the picture until I need a really good bargaining chip.

The chocolate birthday cake that Jon made was delicious. However, when Jon asked Sheldon during the week what my favorite cake was, Sheldon didn't know. You think he would know after being together for over a dozen years because almost every birthday we have in this family is celebrated with an ice-cream cake from Dairy Queen. I'll have to hold that one over Sheldon's head for something good.

When I get a moment, I'll post some pictures up from the party. So many good friends came to share it with me and a few couldn't make it, which was too bad. I'm glad Sharlene and her new baby boy could make it. It's sad that she lives so far away now. Thanks to the guys who made sushi all night in the kitchen. It was SO yummy. Thanks to Angelina for taking the lead on organizing, especially when she's short a husband and pregnant too! Thanks to Jen for putting together that slide show of my life (that was a really good pic of Colin Firth, by the way). And thanks to Nina for letting us mess up her house after it took her a couple of days to clean it.

I love you all! Here's to our next milestone birthday which Angelina says we'll celebrate by taking a fabulous girls-only vacation! But if it's a road trip, Angelina, you are NOT driving ;)

No comments: