Friday 11 January 2008

Week 1, Days 1-3

One of my goals for 2008 is to run a half marathon (approx. 21 km or 13 miles). I have never run a race or even exercised by running in my life but I've been inspired these last few years by people I know who started off just like me and now they love to run.

I downloaded a training schedule from the Internet and have told many people of my lofty goal. I figure if many people know about it then I really can't wimp out.

So in order to help me, I'm going to be tracking my progress on my blog. Maybe it will inspire somebody else to start running or just totally scare them away from the idea forever.

Week 1, Day 1: run 2 min., walk 1 min., repeat 4 more times
  • I was shocked at how "easy" this was. I wasn't overly tired or suffering.

Week 1, Day 2: rest
  • Well this was easy

Week 1, Day 3: run 3 min., walk 1 min., repeat 4 more times
  • First of all, how come it jumps all of a sudden from 2 min. to 3 min? Secondly, crap was this hard. Halfway through I had to slow down my running speed a bit because I started feeling pukey. Maybe I should've waited more than an hour after dinner before I ran. Anyways, I'm a little bit discouraged that adding another minute was so hard, I'm a little bit proud that I finished it and I'm dreading the next run a lot.
PS...
Other goals for 2008 include:
  • taking a learn to row program in the summer with a volleyball team mate (to tone those chicken wing arms of mine)
  • cleaning out and reorganizing the basement (already underway and near completion)
  • saving up to renovate the kitchen (which will be hard not to travel anywhere this year)

1 comment:

D said...

This sounds like a worthwhile exercise. If you don't follow through on this one I will be very disappointed. VERY disappointed.