Sunday 10 February 2008

Adventures in Morocco

Jen and Eric are in Morocco and I will be sharing their adventures as they email them to me.

"We arrived in Marrakesh today. Wow. I can't describe it. It is sensory overload.
Picture a narrow sand cement labyrinth closed in by 2 or 2 story walls. Fill it
with people then squish them out of the way for donkeys and wagons. Push
them away to fit bikes and scooters and sometimes cars. None of which slow
down for each other.


Arab music and conversation buzzing everywhere. Every corner and street is
part of a market, smells of food, incense, and garbage every where. It is
what I thought it would be but more intense than I ever could have imagined.
Everything comes to a hush when the call to prayer rings through the streets.
Then people go right on groping at you and offering their services. It is
exciting but scary at the same time.


Call to prayer is every few hours. Yet I don't feel like it is a spiritual place.

There are old men speaking oracles for hours while onlookers listen intently.

I haven't seen other tourists really.

They don't really sleep. Kids Konrad's age are out till midnight in the streets.
.
I'll tell you more later."

-- Eric


I replied with "Tell Jen to watch out for donkey poo," and this was his reply:


"You can't watch the ground for poo. It is too busy. Only rest is in our riad or outside the
medina walls and we won't
see that for a couple days."

-- Eric


Stay tuned for more rockin' tales from Jen and Eric.

No comments: